Sunday, April 25, 2010

GOLF IN GEORGIA



After driving all afternoon in a downpour and spending the night watching a thunderstorm, Sunday dawned bright and sunny. Richard B. Russell State Park is one of the many Georgia State parks along the Richard B. Russell Reservoir, the result of a dam on the Savannah River. This is a small campground, 26 sites, but they are nicely arranged and have the added attraction of a view of the water and cable TV. Last night I got to watch the Portland Trailblazers beat the Phoenix Suns. One of the reasons we came here is that there is a golf course in this park. It's called Arrowhead Pointe. It has a Golf Digest rating of 4.5 stars and was voted top new public course a couple of years ago. Marlene used her morning by herself to do some clean up, food preparation and catch up on her reading. She's currently well into "Stones Into Schools" by Greg Mortenson. Anyone who has read "Three Cups of Tea" will love this book also.







The course was beautiful, the sun was warm, and I had a great round. my only regrets were that I didn't wear shorts and that I didn't have anyone to share the experience with. Many people had cancelled because of the storm the night before and the prediction that thunderstorms were possible this day also. There just wasn't anyone to pair me up with. Usually when I walk on as a single, there are other singles or twosomes to play with. Not so this Sunday.




This is a par 3, 136 yards, and surrounded by the lake








1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Richard and Marlene.
It's me, Kevin. We met on the train to Huancayo in 1987. I came across your blog and find it fascinating! The pictures are beautiful. Do you plan to head north (to Canada, maybe?) I didn't see your email address in your profile, so I hope you see my comment.